Visit and Audition Day
Dance major and scholarship auditions for prospective students (high school seniors and transfer students) are held during the fall and spring Visit and Audition Days. The purpose of the audition is to assess training background, technical level, and the potential to successfully complete the degree program at an advanced and/or pre professional level.
To be placed into the dance program major, students should have professional quality dance training in both ballet and modern technique, be at the intermediate technical level, and have a fitness level which can withstand rigorous daily work throughout the semester. Other forms of previous dance training are applicable and highly encouraged. The audition includes a modern and ballet technique class (including pointe technique), performance of a one minute solo, and submission of a completed application form.
Students who are not able to attend either the fall or spring Visit and Audition Days may audition by DVD. All DVD auditions must include a completed application form and be directed to the dance office. Students may also schedule an individual, one-hour meeting/tour in order to see the facility and meet with a recruiting representative (this meeting does not encompass an audition). Schedule your meeting/tour.
Notification of audition results are released within three weeks of the application. Students who are not initially advised into the dance major are welcome to enroll in appropriate classes and re-audition at a future time.
- Meet with faculty
- Take master classes in modern and ballet technique
- Audition for the dance major and dance scholarships
- Tour the University Center for the Arts
- Attend an informal dance performance by CSU Dance Majors
- Open to High School juniors, seniors, and transfer students
Audition by Video
Students who are not able to attend a Dance Visit and Audition Day may audition by video. All video auditions are to be filmed within the last three months and must include:
- Modern Technique
- Floor Work
- Traveling Exercise or Movement Phrase including jump, turn, contraction, and spiraling actions
- Ballet Technique
- Barre Exercises (1 side only)
- Center Exercises (both sides) adagio, traveling pirouette waltz, petite allegro, grand allegro (men include tour en l'air)
- Pointe Work
- Center Exercises (both sides) relevés, échappés, stationary pirouettes from fifth and fourth, traveling combination (include at least one piqué arabesque)
- 1 Minute Solo (any genre, studio or clear performance footage)
Video submissions must be accompanied by a completed application form which is attached. Videos should not exceed 12 minutes in length and must be accessible by direct link (e.g. no further registration is required), through domains such as YouTube or Vimeo. Email your video audition links to Tom Krebs at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit by March 31st.
Visit and Audition Day Sample Schedule
- 8:30–9 a.m.: Registration (Lobby)
- 9–9:45 a.m.: Welcome to Dance, discuss dance degree, Q/A (University Dance Theatre)
- 10–11:30 a.m.: Auditions in Modern Technique including pointe (Studio 101)
- 11:30–12:15 p.m.: Lunch (Small Acting Lab, 238)
- 12:15–1:45 p.m.: Auditions in Ballet Dance Technique (Studio 101)
- 2–3 p.m.: Short Interview and Prepared Solo Choreography Auditions (One minute either your choreography or your teachers, any style, bring your own music) (Studio 101)
- 3–3:45 p.m.: Mini Performance by the CSU Dance Program (University Dance Theatre)
- 3:45–4 p.m.: Farewell
Friday, November 2, 2018
Friday, February 15, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
$20 registration required. Registration form coming soon.
Opportunities for Non-Majors
Students across the university are encouraged to join a dance class, or audition for placement in performances and advanced dance classes. For non-majors, enrollment in dance major technique classes depends on space availability, technical level, and suitability. Auditions take place during class the first week of the semester. Please let us know you are coming! Auditions for dance productions, and guest artist pieces are held at the beginning of each semester. Please join us! Contact: email@example.com