Dance Degree at Colorado State University
Colorado State University offers a rigorous classical and contemporary dance degree culminating in a Bachelor of Arts in Dance. The 120 total credit dance major requires a strong physical and mental commitment and an eagerness to learn and improve.
Dance Degree Focus Areas:
- Technique and Foundations
- Performance and Repertoire
- Improvisation and Choreography
- Pedagogy and Teaching Methodologies
- Dance History and Theory
- Technical Design and Production
Our B.A. in Dance offers intensive training in dance performance, choreography, and pedagogy. Dance major course offerings continue to evolve to best prepare students for life after college. Daily technique classes in classical and contemporary forms are aimed at achieving advanced level performance and artistry. Opportunities for students to apply theoretical knowledge in tangible ways, such as performance of repertoire, supervised teaching, direction and choreography for concerts, are abundant. Beginning freshman year, students are eligible to perform in our four, annually produced dance concerts. The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance is comprised of esteemed faculty and administrative and production staff, all dedicated to supporting student education in the arts.
Admission to Colorado State University and admission to the dance major is competitive and therefore it is important to apply early. Students are allowed to double major in dance and other disciplines.
Why Dance at CSU?
- Diverse faculty with expertise and qualifications on national and international levels
- Comprehensive curriculum with an emphasis on career preparation in a liberal arts setting
- Experiential coursework and leadership opportunities including supervised teaching, direction, choreography, and performance
- Individualized mentorship from faculty and
- Live musical accompaniment for technique classes
- Exceptional guest artist residencies and master- classes with world-renowned artists from companies such as Compagnie Käfig, Complexions Contemporary Ballet, Martha Graham Dance Company, Keigwin + Company, Parsons Dance, and more
- Community partnerships with the Fort Collins Lincoln Center and Poudre School District
- Travel opportunities for majors to attend Colorado Dance Education Organization, National Dance Education Organization,
and the American College Dance Association conferences
- World-class facilities and immersive arts environment in the University Center for the Arts
- Excellent general education at a premier research university ranked in the top tier of the nation’s best universities (U.S. News and World Report)
- Ability to double major or minor in a variety of other disciplines
- Alumni achievements in dance performance, teaching, choreography, arts advocacy and management, theatrical production, fashion design, exercise science, physical therapy, business, education, and somatic practices