Dance Visits and Auditions
Audition to be a Dance Major
Admission into the B.F.A. in Dance and B.A. in Dance both require an audition for and acceptance into the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance as well as acceptance by the CSU Office of Admissions.
- PART 1: Audition/Interview for CSU Dance
- Fill out your program application for a CSU Dance audition
- Please refer to audition requirement details listed below.
- You may audition/interview prior to applying to CSU.
- PART 2: Attend Dance Visit and Audition events (on-campus and online options) AND submit an audition video with your program application on the Acceptd portal.
- All dance applicants should submit a video audition.
- If you are attending the on-campus Dance Visit and Audition Experience on February 11-12, 2022, the solo will be assessed in-person; the interview with faculty will take place during the event. Your Ballet and Modern exercises should still be uploaded with your application.
- Dance applicants auditioning fully by video should upload the solo, ballet, and modern portions. Once the video is uploaded and the application is submitted, please schedule an interview with dance faculty.
- PART 3: Apply to CSU through the Office of Admissions.
- We urge you to apply for admission to the university as soon as possible during your senior year.
If you have questions about this process, please contact SMTD@colostate.edu.
Early admission auditions must be completed at our Fall Visit/Audition Days or by video submission by Friday, November 12, 2021. After Feb. 19, 2022, auditions will only be accepted on a space available basis):
Auditionees wishing to start Fall 2022 should prepare the following:
- Solo: This can be any style of dance, and it can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else. It should be approximately one-minute long. Dance faculty are interested in seeing who the applicant is; the applicant should choose a style of dance that is comfortable and reflects the applicant’s personality.
- Ballet exercise: Choose one exercise from this list: waltz with pirouette, petit allegro, grand allegro, adagio. The exercise can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else.
- Modern exercise: This can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else and should include at least three of the following: jump, turn, contraction, spiraling, inversion, floor work, drop swings/body swings, triplets.
- Audition attire — Solo: You may wear whatever you feel is most appropriate (for example, if you're performing classical ballet variations, you may wear a tutu). Ballet: Black leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes, and pointe shoes OR Black tights, white t-shirt, ballet shoes; Modern: Leotards and tights or pants below the knees or longer or black t-shirt or tank tops and black tights or pants below the knees or longer, and bare feet.
- You are encouraged to upload a headshot and artistic resume along with your video.
- All dance applicants should submit a program application and video through the Acceptd portal. If you are attending the on-campus Dance Visit and Audition Days on November 5-6, 2021, and February 11-12, 2022, only the solo will be assessed in-person. Your Ballet and Modern exercises should still be uploaded to your application. Dance applicants auditioning fully by video should upload the solo, ballet, and modern portions.
- To receive full consideration for acceptance as a dance major and for a scholarship, your application/video submissions must be submitted by February 18, 2022. Applications/videos submitted after that date will be considered on a space-available basis.
Prospective students wishing to start Fall 2022 will meet with 2-3 dance faculty members for a brief fifteen-minute interview (either at the Fall In-person Visit and Audition Days or via Zoom. Faculty are interested in hearing why the applicant is interested in dancing at CSU and what career path the applicant might wish to pursue in dance. Applicants will also have an opportunity to ask the dance faculty questions about CSU Dance.
Notification of audition results are released within three weeks of the application. Students who are not initially accepted into the dance major are welcome to enroll in appropriate classes and re-audition at a future time.
Upon admission to CSU, and acceptance as a dance major, transfer students work in collaboration with the Director of Dance and Academic Success Coordinator to develop a degree plan based on a review of transcript and course equivalencies.
Dance Visit and Audition Dates
We look forward to meeting you at an upcoming on-campus or virtual visit. Prospective students (high school juniors, seniors, transfer students, and current CSU students) will meet dance faculty and current dance majors.
No matter if you come to campus or meet with us online, the itinerary includes an overview of our dance program, excerpts from our upcoming Dance Concert performed in our dance spaces, and teaching demonstrations by CSU Dance faculty for prospective students to observe or participate in. Prospective students (and parents/guardians) will have an opportunity to ask questions of the faculty and current students during a Q&A session.
- Please Note: All dance applicants should complete the Program Audition Application and submit a video audition through the Acceptd portal. If you are attending the on-campus Dance Visit Days, only the solo will be assessed in-person. Your Ballet and Modern exercises should still be uploaded with your application. Dance applicants auditioning fully by video should upload the solo, ballet, and modern portions.
Dance Experience Visit and Auditions: TBA
Virtual Visit Sessions: TBA
Don't forget! Whether you are visiting in person or virtually, all students wishing to be a CSU Dance Major must complete the Dance Major program application on Acceptd.