Visit and Audition Day
Meet with faculty and students, take masterclasses in modern and ballet techniques, audition for the dance major and dance scholarships, tour the University Center for the Arts, and attend an informal dance performance by CSU Dance majors. Technique class placement is also determined during auditions. Visit and Audition Day is open to high school juniors, seniors, and transfer students; registration is required.
The purpose of the audition is to assess training background, technical level, and the potential to successfully complete the degree program at an advanced and/or pre professional level.
To be placed into the dance program major, students should have professional quality dance training in both ballet and modern technique, be at the intermediate technical level, and have a fitness level which can withstand rigorous daily work throughout the semester. Other forms of previous dance training are applicable and highly encouraged. The audition includes a modern and ballet technique class (including pointe technique), performance of a one minute solo, and submission of a completed application form. If you do not have experience dancing on pointe, you may take that portion of the audition in soft ballet shoes.
Students who are not able to attend either the fall or spring Visit and Audition Days may audition by video. All video auditions must include a completed application. Students may also schedule an individual, one-hour meeting/tour in order to see the facility and meet with a recruiting representative (this meeting does not encompass an audition). Schedule your meeting/tour.
Notification of audition results are released within three weeks of the application. Students who are not initially advised into the dance major are welcome to enroll in appropriate classes and re-audition at a future time.
Upon admission to CSU, and acceptance as a dance major, transfer students work in collaboration with the Director of Dance and Academic Success Coordinator to develop a degree plan based on a review of transcript and course equivalencies.
What to expect at Visit and Audition Day
- Auditions will be conducted during masterclasses in ballet and modern dance techniques.
- Audition attire — Ballet, women: Black leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes, and pointe shoes; Ballet, men: Black tights, white t-shirt, ballet shoes; Modern, women and men: Dancewear and bare feet.
- Students must bring their own pointe shoes.
- You are encouraged to bring a headshot and artistic resume with you.
- You’ll participate in masterclasses, information sessions, and performances
- Prepare a one-minute individual audition piece.
- Please bring a phone/MP3 player containing your selected music.
Audition by Video
Students who are not able to attend a Dance Visit and Audition Day may audition by video. All video auditions are to be filmed within the last three months and must include:
- Modern Technique
- Floor Work
- Traveling Exercise or Movement Phrase including jump, turn, contraction, and spiraling actions
- Ballet Technique
- Barre Exercises (1 side only)
- Center Exercises (both sides) adagio, traveling pirouette waltz, petite allegro, grand allegro (men include tour en l'air)
- Pointe Work (if you have experience on pointe)
- Center Exercises (both sides) relevés, échappés, stationary pirouettes from fifth and fourth, traveling combination (include at least one piqué arabesque)
- One-minute Solo (any genre, studio or clear performance footage)
Videos should not exceed 12 minutes in length and must be accessible by direct link (e.g. no further login is required), through domains such as YouTube or Vimeo. To submit your video audition, please email the link to SMTD@colostate.edu.
Opportunities for Non-Majors
Students across the University are encouraged to become part of CSU Dance classes and performances. For non-majors, placement in technique classes depends on space availability and technical level. Placement assessment occurs during class the 1st week of the semester. Please contact the course instructor to let us know you are coming.
Technique class placement for majors and non-majors is also determined during Visit and Audition Days held each fall and spring. Please register.
Auditions for faculty, student, and guest artist pieces are held at the beginning of each semester. Students must be enrolled in a dance technique course to audition for performances.
Please join us! Contact: Emily.Morgan@colostate.edu
Visit and Audition Days:
- Friday, Nov. 8, 2019
- Friday, Feb. 14, 2020
Can't Join Us For Visit/Audition Day?
If you can't join us for Visit/Audition Day, you are welcome to schedule an individual, one hour meeting/tour on the day and time of your choice. Schedule your meeting/tour
Sample Visit and Audition Day Schedule
- 8:30–9 a.m.: Registration, Griffin lobby
- 9–9:45 a.m.: Welcome to dance, discuss dance degree, Q&A
- Students (Room 101)
- Parents (Room 102)
- 9:45–11:15 a.m.: Auditions in Modern Technique (Room 101)
- Building tour for parents (start in Room 102)
- 11:15 a.m. — 12 p.m.: Lunch for students, faculty, and staff (Acting Lab)
- 12:15–1:45 p.m. Auditions in Ballet Technique with Pointe (Room 101)
- 2–3 p.m.: Interview and Prepared Solo Auditions (Room 101)
- Warm up class for CSU performers (University Dance Theatre)
- 3–3:45 p.m.: Mini performance by CSU Dance, Q&A with majors (University Dance Theatre)
- 3:45–4 p.m.: Farewell and thank you for attending the CSU Dance Visit Day (University Dance Theatre)