Dance Visits and Auditions
Audition to be a Dance Major
Admission into the B.F.A. in Dance requires an audition for and acceptance into the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance as well as acceptance by the CSU Office of Admissions.
- PART 1: Audition/Interview for CSU Dance
- Fill out your application for a CSU Dance audition/interview
- Please refer to audition requirement details listed below.
- You may audition/interview prior to applying to CSU.
- PART 2: Apply to CSU through the Office of Admissions.
- We urge you to apply for admission to the university as soon as possible during your senior year.
If you have questions about this process, please contact SMTD@colostate.edu.
Video Audition — submit your audition video for Fall 2021 start (after Feb. 19, 2021, auditions will only be accepted on a space available basis):
Auditionees wishing to start Fall 2021 should prepare the following:
- Solo: This can be any style of dance, and it can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else. It should be approximately one-minute long. Dance faculty are interested in seeing who the applicant is; the applicant should choose a style of dance that is comfortable and reflects the applicant’s personality.
- Ballet exercise: Choose one exercise from this list: waltz with pirouette, petit allegro, grand allegro, adagio. The exercise can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else.
- Modern exercise: This can be choreographed by the applicant or by someone else and should include at least three of the following: jump, turn, contraction, spiraling, inversion, floor work, drop swings/body swings, triplets.
- Audition attire — Ballet: Black leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes, and pointe shoes OR Black tights, white t-shirt, ballet shoes; Modern: Leotards and tights or pants below the knees or longer or black t-shirt or tank tops and black tights or pants below the knees or longer, and bare feet.
- You are encouraged to upload a headshot and artistic resume along with your video.
Live Interviews — after Feb. 19, 2021 interviews will be conducted on a space available basis only
Prospective students wishing to start Fall 2021 will meet with 2-3 dance faculty members for a brief fifteen-minute interview. Faculty are interested in hearing why the applicant is interested in dancing at CSU and what career path the applicant might wish to pursue in dance. Applicants will also have an opportunity to ask the dance faculty questions about CSU Dance.
Notification of audition results are released within three weeks of the application. Students who are not initially accepted into the dance major are welcome to enroll in appropriate classes and re-audition at a future time.
Upon admission to CSU, and acceptance as a dance major, transfer students work in collaboration with the Director of Dance and Academic Success Coordinator to develop a degree plan based on a review of transcript and course equivalencies.
Virtual and In-person Visit Sessions: Fall 2021 dates TBA
We look forward to meeting you at our Fall Dance Visit Session! Prospective students (high school juniors, seniors, transfer students, and current CSU students) will meet dance faculty and current dance majors.
The itinerary includes an overview of our dance program, excerpts from our upcoming Fall Dance Concert performed in our dance spaces, and teaching demonstrations by CSU Dance faculty for prospective students to observe or participate in from their own spaces. Prospective students (and parents/guardians) will have an opportunity to ask questions of the faculty and current students during a Q&A session. Registration required.
Opportunities for Non-Majors
Students across the University are encouraged to become part of CSU Dance classes and performances. For non-majors, placement in technique classes depends on space availability and technical level. Placement assessment occurs during class the 1st week of the semester. Please contact the course instructor to let us know you are coming.
Technique class placement for majors and non-majors is also determined during Virtual Visit and Audition Sessions held each fall and spring. Please register.
Auditions for faculty, student, and guest artist pieces are held at the beginning of each semester. Students must be enrolled in a dance technique course to audition for performances.
Please join us! Contact: Emily.Morgan@colostate.edu
Our official audition/interview days have concluded, however, we are still accepting late auditions. Auditions and scholarship will be considered on a space-available basis.
If you have additional concerns or questions, please email SMTD@colostate.edu.
Individual Information Session
Thank you for your interest in Colorado State University and the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance. While the university is not hosting campus visits due to COVID-19, the university is not closed and has moved online. To answer your questions about dance at CSU, we are offering video conferencing information sessions. Please fill out the following form and we will schedule a time to visit with you. Schedule your meeting.