Audition and Visit Days
Dance major and scholarship auditions for prospective students (High School seniors and transfer students) are held during the Fall Visit Day (Nov.) and the Spring Visit Day (Feb.). The purpose of the audition is to assess training background, technical level, and the potential to successfully complete the degree program at an advanced and/or pre professional level.
To be placed into the dance program major, students should have professional quality dance training in both ballet and modern technique, be at the intermediate technical level, and have a fitness level which can withstand rigorous daily work throughout the semester. Other forms of previous dance training are applicable and highly encouraged.
The audition includes a modern and ballet technique class (including pointe technique), performance of a one minute solo, and submission of a completed application form. Students who are not able to attend a Visit Day may audition by DVD. All DVD auditions must include a completed application form and be directed to the dance office.
Notification of audition results are released within three weeks of the application. Students who are not initially advised into the dance major are welcome to enroll in appropriate classes and re-audition at a future time.
- Meet with faculty
- Take master classes in modern and ballet technique
- Audition for the dance major and dance scholarships
- Tour the University Center for the Arts
- Attend an informal dance performance by CSU Dance Majors
- Open to High School juniors, seniors, and transfer students
Visit Day Sample Schedule
- 8:30–9 a.m.: Registration (UCA, Lobby)
- 9–9:45 a.m.: Welcome to Dance, discuss dance degree, Q/A (UCA, University Dance Theatre)
- 10–11:30 a.m.: Auditions in Ballet Technique including pointe (UCA, 101)
- 11:30–12:15 p.m.: Lunch (UCA, Small Acting Lab, 238)
- 12:15–1:45 p.m.: Auditions in Modern Dance Technique (UCA, 101)
- 2–3 p.m.: Short Interview and Prepared Solo Choreography Auditions (One minute either your choreography or your teachers, any style, bring your own music) Studio 101
- 3–3:45 p.m.: Mini Performance by the CSU Dance Program (UCA, University Dance Theatre)
- 3:45–4 p.m.: Farewell and thank you for attending the CSU Dance Visit Day
Upcoming Visit Days
Fall 2017: Friday, Nov. 3, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Spring 2018: Friday, Feb. 2, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
$20 registration required. 2017-2018 registration will be available in Aug.